Q-Where do we meet for practice at Memorial High School?
A-You will meet at the Track on the East Side of the High School. When you get there you can hang out in the stands or stand on the side of the track and wait for practice to start. If you choose to go down to the track just make sure you aren’t getting in anyone’s way who is practicing ahead of our time.
Q-What events can I do\try?
A-You can do whatever events you would like. If you want to be a sprinter one day and then distance the next you can. This is sometimes what the younger kids do. Once you figure out what events are best for you, you should try to stick to them to try to master them. You can always ask one of the coaches to help you make the decision and they will give you advice.
Q-What is the deadline for meet sign-ups?
A-We like to have you signed up, filled out the form that gets sent out no later than 48 hours before the meet. If you try to sign up after there is risk you will not be able to compete at the meet because of their deadline or lack of the coaches time to sign you up.
Q-I’m not getting the notification emails from Badger Track Club or the Badger Track Club Summer Series what should I do?
A-Send an email to email@example.com with the email address you would like to be added to and describe the list. If it’s the Badger Track Club Summer Series emails just request that. If you want the general emails you can sign-up for the general emails on the home page www.badgertrackclub.com it’s under the NEWSLETTER area.
Q-It’s past the sign-up deadline, can I still sign up?
A-Come find coach Scott before or after practice, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We order the shirts the first week and we also have a cap as to how many kids can be part of the club for safety and coaching purposes. We do however at times have kids drop out or not show up, so contact us to ask if signing up late is an option.
Q-What is the best way to get Badger Track Club information?
A-Instagram, Facebook and Twitter is the way to keep up to date. We will post pictures of the kids at practice, at meets etc. there. Our big administrative announcements will go out to the mail list, but the social media route is your best option as it’s easy and we have a few people who post things.
Q-What events are part of what training group?
A-400M and down(including any hurdling) is considered sprints, 800M and up would be distance. Field events are Long Jump and High Jump and would go with that specific discipline.
Q-How and where do I sign my child up for a USATF membership so they can compete in USATF events?
A-Here is the link https://www.usatf.org/membership/application/index.asp Also during the process associate them with Badger Track Club so we can manage their entries in USATF events. When asked for a club use Club # 20-0656: Badger Track Club The registration expires on December 31st regardless of when you sign up. You have options for multiple years, or can just renew on a yearly basis. The association with the club is a one time process.
Q-Do I need to attend all of the practices to be part of the club, or compete in the meets? If they miss a practice do
A-No, you can participate whenever you would like, and if you miss practice you can still compete in the meets as long as you are registered, have filled out the waiver, and have paid. We do build the program so the kids progress as they move through it with the peak being the USATF WI Meet, to help them have a good chance to qualify for the Regional and National meet.
Q-What should the kids wear at the meets?
A-We ask that they were the Badger Track Club Tech shirt, singlet or compression shirt. Having a pair of black shorts is helpful especially if they are going to run at the USATF meets and be part of a relay. Relay teams all need matching gear, so all singlets, all tech shirts, all black shorts etc.
Below are the items that are important for practice and meets:
- Running shoes are a must. Best recommended place for purchase is Rogan’s West or East(East usually has more options)
- Spikes are optional
- Get a nice large one and if you can get one that keeps the water cold all the better
- Find one that is decent enough size for kids to put their shoes and extra clothes and water bottle in
Clothing (should start practice warm and can take off during practice if needed) Better to be warm than cold always
- Layers, layers and more layers
- Nylon or Wind jacket
- Hooded sweatshirt
- Long sleeve shirt
- Running shorts…made of lightweight material preferred
- Running pants in case it’s cold
- 2 pairs of socks in case it gets wet
- Snack 2 hours before practice\meet and water can be consumed all the way up until practice. If meet always have small snacks for kids to eat, def. Don’t want a big full stomach right before running
- Water. Water intake should slow down 1 hour before practice and should always be at practice to be consumed. If your child is thirsty at practice they are already dehydrated which will affect performance
- Energy Drinks are good but should stop 2 hours before practice. They are great for after practice along with a healthy snack. Drinks and snack should be consumed within the first 30 minutes after a hard activity.
Additional Work outside of BTC practices
- If your child is doing another sport on the days when they are not at practice they are good.
- If no other sport they should try to run 15-30 min on Tuesday, Thursday(unless they have a meet that would count as activity), Friday. More advanced runners may consider Saturday activity. I recommend at this age taking one day off a week of no sport activity
- We will practice in light rain
- We will not practice if there is any risk of lightning
- Most meets will go if there is light rain but will be suspended if there is risk of lightening
- Cancellations will be put on Facebook, Instagram, and if we have time sent out via Mailchimp. Please watch for the emails. If you don’t receive a notification of cancellations the meet or practice is on.
- Please don’t wait until the last second to sign your child up for the meet. Since we are coordinating or Wisconsin Track Club is, it’s recommended that you sign up 48 hours ahead of time. We also try to put as many relays together as we can because it’s a great learning experience for the kids and very fun. So the sooner you get signed up the better chance we can find a relay for you. Relays are usually mixed gender and sometimes age
- Make sure to arrive before your event and have your child find their event coach. The WTC meets usually give out a colored band for you age group. It is up to you to help your child get informed of when they will run. As coaches we WILL try our best but cannot keep all the athletes in tuned with their time to run. Parents assistance in this area is much appreciated
- Always wear whatever BTC shirt or singlet you have so you can be associated with the club.
- In order to compete in any USATF sanctioned meet you will need to have an active membership here http://www.usatf.org/Products—Services/Individual-Memberships.aspx When signing up please associate the account with Club # 20-0656: Badger Track Club
- The USATF membership runs January 1st-December 31st
- Age group is by the age your child will be on December 31st of that year.
Wisconsin Lutheran High School