I’m new to Cross Country is that ok?
- Yes you do not need experience, we do most of the runs together and you can find someone who can run with you or coach will adjust your workouts based on your skill level
What should I bring to practice?
- You should bring yourself, a water bottle, warm clothes layered..you can always take clothes off but can’t put ones on you don’t have:-)
What type of shoes do I need?
- Any pair of running shoes will suffice. Just make sure they aren’t worn out and have good support. The more support the better.
How much running should be done outside of the 2 day a week practices?
- We recommend that you run 5 days a week 15 min. a day for beginners, 20-30 min. a day for the advanced athletes. 2 of those days would be the practice days we meet.
Do I need spikes?
- No you do not need spikes to participate. However spikes can help you run faster as they are lighter and have…well spikes on the front that will help you get better grip up hills and when it’s muddy. You would only wear them at races. You want to buy either Middle Distance or Long Distance spikes. Either will be good and can be used for our Track Program as well.
|1/8″||Needle||track or pavement, rarely XC|
|1/4″||Pyramid||most XC courses especially if some pavement|
|3/8″||Pyramid||most XC courses especially if no pavement|
|1/2″||Pyramid||really muddy courses|
Where can I buy spikes?
- EastBay.com is a great place to start. Also the east side Rogan’s store usually carries 3-5 options for spikes. Once you find something that works, feel free to google or look on Amazon to see if you can find a better price.
How often do you recommend that someone should race?
- The general rule of thumb is you can race every weekend in Cross Country or Road Racing if you are doing 5k or less. Every other weekend is def. a standard. Racing more than once a week or within 5 day is not recommended because it doesn’t give your body enough time to recover for your next race.
What do I need to compete in the USATF Regional Meet?
- You need a valid USATF membership. If you had one in Summer or Spring Track you’ll all good. If you don’t have one you can get one here http://www.usatf.org/Home.aspx Make sure when you sign up that you enter the following info when prompted for a Club USATF Club # 20-0656: Badger Track Club Also if it’s your first time signing up you will need to email a copy of your birth certificate or passport to email@example.com. Copy coach Scott firstname.lastname@example.org in case there are any questions
Can I come watch practice if I want?
- Yes…all of our practices are at Elver in a small area. We use the hill or the soccer field at the bottom of the hill for most of the hard workouts.
What are the distances for Juniors 18-Under at the USATF Meets?
- Girl’s 2000m Run 8 & Under DivisionBoy’s 2000m Run 8 & Under DivisionGirl’s 3000m Run 9-10 DivisionBoy’s 3000m Run 9-10 Division
Girl’s 3000m Run 11-12 Division
Boy’s 3000m Run 11-12 Division
Girl’s 4000m Run 13-14 Division
Boy’s 4000m Run 13-14 Division
Girl’s 5000m Run 15-18 Division
Boy’s 5000m Run 15-18 Division
How many athletes qualify out of the WI USATF Association Meet?
- Top 15 in each age group or each gender. Example 15 athletes from Girls 13-14
What is the date of the National Meet in Madison in 2019 and what is the location?
- The meet is on December 14th at Yahara Hills Golf Course. We are working on moving the WI USATF Association Meet qualifier to Yahara Hills on November 3rd as well. We will update this FAQ when we have a solid date on that.